Taking your oral health for granted is never a good idea – not only will you develop cavities that will require root canals, it affects your smile, which in turn puts a dent into your confidence. Fortunately, there are a few simple things that you can do to have perfect teeth:
• Brush your teeth after every meal. This is something that many people take for granted but it really makes a difference. Every time you eat the particles that are left between your teeth are a feast for the bacteria that lives in your mouth and the result is acid which eats away at your enamel. Brushing after you eat takes care of the problem.
• You should not forget to floss at least once a day. It takes care of any food particles that are stuck between the teeth.
• Do not miss your dental appointments. Many people skip them because they are not experiencing any dental problems. Think of these appointments as an opportunity for your Keller TX dentist to catch problems early enough so that he can get ahead of them.
• Avoid sugary foods and drinks whenever possible – they cause tooth decay even faster than ordinary foods. If you eat something sweet make sure to rinse out your mouth with water.
• Don’t smoke; not only is it bad for your overall health, it also stains your teeth.
• Go for a teeth cleaning every 6 months. The dentist will remove plaque buildup and also give you back a pearly smile.
• Avoid soda, alcohol and coffee as they all contain phosphorous. Although this element is necessary for healthy teeth too much of it causes dental problems.
• Make sure to eat foods that are high in calcium, but if you don’t get enough of them you should take a good calcium supplement. Calcium strengthens both teeth and bones.
• If you notice any dental problems, such as a toothache, chips or cracks you should see your dentist right away. If you ignore them they will only get worse.
• If you have a problem with tooth decay you should consider have a sealant installed on your molars. It prevents acid from eating your teeth and causing decay.
• Talk to your dentist freely about any concerns that you have for your teeth and gums. He will give you advice on what you can do to take care of them.
• Each time you brush you should not forget to clean your tongue. A dirty tongue leads to bad breath and eventually halitosis which will affect your social life.
• If you are on any medications you should let your dentist know about it especially if they are affecting your teeth. He will prescribe additional meds that will help protect them.
• If you have any missing teeth you should have them replaced as soon as possible – teeth that are next to gaps weaken.
These tips should help you maintain good oral hygiene. Think of your mouth as an investment – the better care you take of it the longer it will serve you.